Leonard Foreign Language/Travel Endowed Award
To promote cultural understanding and foreign language fluency, and to engage Franklin College language majors and minors with countries where the target language is spoken, Mr. Stephen Leonard and Mrs. Susan Leonard (’70) have established the Leonard Foreign Language/Study Abroad Scholarship. The scholarship will provide a stipend to one or more deserving students for a study abroad opportunity which will cover transportation and lodging costs.
- Students are required to complete an application form and submit it to the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) by March 1, for both summer term and the fall semester, and by October 15, for winter term and for the spring semester. Click here to download an application form.
- The VPAA’s office will confirm eligibility for the award by certifying that the student meets the cumulative GPA requirement of 3.00, and that the student(s) is pursuing a foreign language major or minor at Franklin College. Preference will be given to student(s) with at least a sophomore status and upon the recommendation of the Foreign Language Department.
- The student(s) is required to select a country in which the primary language is the student’s academic major or minor.
- The Foreign Language Department chair will certify that the candidates possess sufficient fluency in the appropriate language to predict success in the program in the chosen country or countries. The same department will then make the final selection of the candidate(s), and alternates(s), if applicable, to receive the stipend.
- The office of the VPAA will notify the selected candidate by April 15, for the summer term and fall semester, and by October 15, for both the winter term and the spring semester.
- One or more students may receive the stipend per academic year.