Raymond & Catherine Cowan Endowed Fund in the Sciences
Raymond Cowan joined the faculty of Franklin College in 1955. He taught physics and was chair of that department for 30 years. Mr. Cowan also served as chair of the science division from 1960-1972 and again from 1977-1980. Throughout his tenure at Franklin, Mr. Cowan was a respected leader, chairing many campus committees and helping to guide the College. Mr. Cowan founded the campus radio station, WFCI, in 1960. He directed operation of the station until his retirement in 1985. After his retirement, the alumni association named Mr. Cowan an associate alumnus. Mr. Cowan's wife, Catherine, was an alumna of Franklin College. She was an English teacher at Franklin Community High School for 25 years, retiring in 1987. Mrs. Cowan also held degrees in music and was organist and choir director of First Presbyterian Church in Franklin for 35 years. The Cowans established their endowed fund at Franklin College in order to encourage and recognize students studying science.
Scholarships from the Raymond and Catherine Cowan Endowed Fund in the Sciences are available to sophomores with a 2.5 GPA. (If no sophomore students qualify, a junior may be selected). First priority will be given to students majoring in physics. If no candidate from the physics department is named, the award may be granted to a student majoring in biology or chemistry. It is preferred that the biology or chemistry student receiving the award have completed coursework in physics.