- The purpose of the program is to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries and geographical areas.
- The program sponsors academic year scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students as well as for qualified professionals pursuing vocational studies.
- While abroad, scholars serve as goodwill ambassadors to the host country and give presentations about their homelands to Rotary clubs and other groups. Upon returning home, scholars share with Rotarians and others the experiences that led to a greater understanding of their host country.
- Must be nominated by Franklin College.
- Applicants must have completed at least two years of university or college course work, or must have a secondary school education and have been employed in a recognized vocation for at least two years when the scholarship begins.
- All applicants must be citizens of a country in which there is a Rotary club.
- The following persons are ineligible: A Rotarian; an honorary Rotarian; an employee of a club, district, or other Rotary entity or of Rotary International; a spouse, lineal descendant (child or grandchild by blood or adopted or not adopted), a spouse of a lineal descendant, or an ancestor (parent or grandparent) of any living person in the foregoing categories.
- Academic-Year Ambassadorial Scholarships provide a flat grant of US$26,000 for one academic year of study in another country.
- These awards are intended to help defray costs associated with round-trip transportation, tuition and other fees, room and board, and some educational supplies.
Application materials for 2011-12 Ambassadorial Scholarships and Rotary Grants for University Teachers become available from the Rotary club in the applicant’s area of permanent residence or full-time study.
Dr. Hisaya Kitaoka
- Applicants must initially apply through a Rotary club located in the area of their legal or permanent residence, or place of fulltime study or employment. Persons with disabilities and members of Rotaract clubs are eligible and encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must contact the nearest Rotary club for further information.