Full Name:UNCF-MERCK Undergraduate Science Research Scholarship Awards
Course of Study:Science
Campus Due Date:
- The program is intended to help African American undergraduate students who are interested in science to further their science education and potentially pursue science careers.
- 15 scholarship awards will be granted.
- Must be nominated by Franklin College
- African American (Black)
- Enrolled full-time in any four-year college or university in the United States
- A junior who will be a B.S. or B.A. degree candidate in the 2010-2011 academic year
- A life or physical sciences major (Applicants majoring in the physical sciences must have completed two semesters of organic chemistry by the end of the 2009-10 academic year). First professional (Pharm.D., D.V.M., D.D.S., etc.) and engineering degree majors are ineligible
- A student with a minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
- Committed to and eligible for two summer internships at a Merck research facility
- A citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Each award provides up to $35,000, which includes up to $25,000 towards tuition, room and board, and billable fees.
- Each fellow will be mentored by a Merck scientist and will receive two Summer Research Internships with stipends totaling at least $10,000, if eligible. An internship will take place during the summer following the junior year and the other following graduation.
- Campus deadline:
- Application deadline: December 1, 2012
- Application must be through online.
- Award recipients will be selected based on their GPA, their demonstrated interest in their own scientific education and a career in scientific research, and their ability to perform in a laboratory environment.
- Application forms
- Institutional cover sheet
- Application acknowledgement card
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Statement describing career interests and goals in science research including graduate study interests
- 3 letters of recommendation
- A resume
Franklin College Contact:
Dr. Hisaya Kitaoka